Monday, April 15, 2013

Why write a novel?

During an interview I was recently asked why I wrote One Fateful Night. The answer to that question is three-fold, yet stems back to the same concept--gymnastics. Growing up in the sport I read anything gymnastics related I could get my hands upon. In the days prior to the internet, that wasn't much! I was basically limited to my monthly addition of International Gymnast and USA Gymnastics (where content was sparse and advertisement was plentiful.) Books with gymnasts as characters were even more pathetic. They might mention turning a cartwheel or two, but never got into details about the grueling workouts, strict diets or drive and determination required of a high level gymnast. Thus, most importantly, I felt there was an opportunity for a new story to be told. A story with a primary character who was a hard-core elite level gymnast.

Next, I wanted to share some concepts that hopefully will one day become a reality. For instance, in One Fateful Night, elite gymnast Kate is able to accept sponsors and endorse products while maintaining collegiate eligibility by putting the money in a trust. Unlike football, basketball, baseball, soccer and hockey, gymnastics is a sport where the opportunity to turn professional is before or during the college years. It saddens me to know these kids who dedicate there life and childhood are forced to choose between one experience or the other.

Last, I needed a new identity.  Gymnastics unfortunately is not a sport you can participate in "here and there." Firms don't have gymnastics leagues where colleges get together for a competition and then go drink some beers like they do for say softball. So after living 18 years of my life as a gymnast, I needed something else fun in my life. I am blessed to have such supportive neighbors, friends and a great family. They encouraged me to put myself out there and take A Leap of Fate (which happens to be the title of my second book, coming out soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment